Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Upgrading a laptop SSD

So for anyone still visiting this blog, I realize it has died and not been very helpful. But I won't quit. And I figured any article is better than no article right? So this is a write up on my recent SSD upgrade experience to make it easy for everyone else.

I recently purchased a lenovo Yoga 2 11. It was cheap and so far seems to suit my needs for school quite well. But having never tasted the talked-up glory of SSD's before, I decided to give it a try.

I bought a cheap 120gb Sandisk SSD for only $35. I was really going for cheap here to match the laptop and I also usually have most of my files on Google Drive so getting a lot of storage wasn't really an issue.

All I did then was create a Windows 10 Media USB following the instructions here. After that I took the 10 screws off the back of my laptop and switched the old HDD for the SSD. The usb booted up and comenced installing windows 10.

In the meantime, I hooked up the HDD to my PC which had extra SATA ports and did a full format on the drive. (You could also erase the old drive using the same laptop with DBAN), but this was easier for me.

Windows started up like a charm. I did my usual updates and tweaks like speeding up the trackpad speed, lowering the screen settings to save battery, etc.

And that's about it! I highly recommend upgrading if you haven't already. Even with the cheapest SSD I could find my laptop boots up in seconds and programs fly open.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment